- Behold, you were called and chosen to write the Book of Mormon, and to my ministry, and I have lifted you up out of your afflictions and have counseled you, that you have been delivered from all your enemies, and you have been delivered from the power of Satan and from darkness. Nevertheless, you are not excusable in your transgressions; nevertheless, go your way and sin no more.
- Magnify your office, and after you have sowed your fields and secured them, then go speedily unto the churches, which are in Colesville, Fayette, and Manchester, and they shall support you, and I will bless them, both spiritually and temporally. But if they receive you not, I will send upon them a cursing instead of a blessing.
- And you shall continue in calling upon God in my name, and writing the things which shall be given you by the Comforter, and expounding all scriptures unto the church. And it shall be given you in the very moment what you shall speak and write. And they shall hear it, or I will send unto them a cursing instead of a blessing, for you shall devote all your service in Zion, and in this you shall have strength.
- Be patient in afflictions, for you shall have many, but endure them, for lo, I am with you even unto the end of your days. And in temporal labors you shall not have strength, for this is not your calling. Attend to your calling, and you shall have wherewith to magnify your office, and to expound all scriptures, and continue in the laying on of the hands, and confirming the churches.
- And your brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church, and he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause. And lo, I am with him to the end. In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free. And at all times and in all places he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night, and I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.
- Require not miracles except I shall command you — except casting out devils, healing the sick, and against poisonous serpents, and against deadly poison. And these things you shall not do, except it be required of you by them who desire it, that the scriptures might be fulfilled, for you shall do according to that which is written.
- And in whatever place you shall enter in and they receive you not in my name, you shall leave a cursing instead of a blessing by casting off the dust of your feet against them as a testimony, and cleansing your feet by the wayside.
- And it shall come to pass that whoever shall lay their hands upon you by violence, you shall command to be smitten in my name. And behold, I will smite them, according to your words, in my own due time. And whoever shall go to law with you shall be cursed by the law. And you shall take no purse, nor scrip, neither staves, neither two coats, for the church shall give unto you in the very hour what you need for food, and for raiment, for shoes, and for money, and for scrip. For you are called to prune my vineyard with a mighty pruning, yea, even for the last time, yea, and also all those whom you have ordained. And they shall do even according to this pattern. Amen.
A revelation given at Harmony, Pennsylvania, July 1830, to Joseph Smith Jr. and Oliver Cowdery.