- Hearken, O you elders of my church, and give ear to the voice of the living God, and attend to the words of wisdom which shall be given unto you, according as you have asked and are agreed, as touching the church, and the spirits which have gone abroad in the earth. Behold, verily I say unto you that there are many spirits which are false spirits, which have gone forth in the earth deceiving the world, and also Satan has sought to deceive you that he might overthrow you.
- Behold, I, the Lord, have looked upon you, and have seen abominations in the church which professes my name. But blessed are they who are faithful and endure, whether in life or in death, for they shall inherit eternal life. But woe be unto them that are deceivers and hypocrites, for thus says the Lord: I will bring them to judgment. Behold, verily I say unto you, there are hypocrites among you and have deceived some, which has given the adversary power. But behold, such shall be reclaimed. But the hypocrites shall be detected and shall be cut off, either in life or in death, even as I will. And woe unto them who are cut off from my church, for the same are overcome of the world. Wherefore, let every man beware, lest he do that which is not in truth and righteousness before me.
- And now come, says the Lord by the spirit unto the elders of his church, and let us reason together that you may understand. Let us reason even as a man reasons, one with another, face to face. Now, when a man reasons he is understood of man because he reasons as a man; even so will I the Lord reason with you that you may understand. Wherefore, I, the Lord, ask you this question: Unto what were you ordained? To preach my gospel by the spirit, even the Comforter, which was sent forth to teach the truth. And then received you spirits which you could not understand, and received them to be of God. And in this are you justified? Behold, you shall answer this question yourselves. Nevertheless, I will be merciful unto you; he that is weak among you, hereafter shall be made strong.
- Verily I say unto you, he that is ordained of me and sent forth to preach the word of truth by the Comforter, in the spirit of truth, does he preach it by the spirit of truth or some other way? And if by some other way, it is not of God. And again, he that receives the word of truth, does he receive it by the spirit of truth or some other way? If it be some other way, it is not of God. Therefore, why is it that you cannot understand and know that he that receives the word by the spirit of truth, receives it as it is preached by the spirit of truth? Wherefore, he that preaches and he that receives, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together. And that which does not edify is not of God, and is darkness. That which is of God is light, and he that receives light and continues in God receives more light, and that light grows brighter and brighter until the perfect day.
- And again, verily I say unto you, and I say it that you may know the truth, that you may chase darkness from among you. For he that is ordained of God and sent forth, the same is appointed to be the greatest, notwithstanding he is least and the servant of all. Wherefore, he is possessor of all things, for all things are subject unto him both in Heaven and on the earth: the life and the light, the spirit and the power, sent forth by the will of the Father through Jesus Christ, his Son. But no man is possessor of all things except he be purified and cleansed from all sin. And if you are purified and cleansed from all sin, you shall ask whatever you will in the name of Jesus, and it shall be done. But know this, it shall be given you what you shall ask.
- And as you are appointed to the head, the spirits shall be subject unto you. Wherefore, it shall come to pass that if you behold a spirit manifested that you cannot understand, and you receive not that spirit, you shall ask of the Father in the name of Jesus, and if he give not unto you that spirit, then you may know that it is not of God. And it shall be given unto you power over that spirit, and you shall proclaim against that spirit with a loud voice that it is not of God, not with railing accusation, that you be not overcome, neither with boasting nor rejoicing, lest you be seized therewith. He that receives of God, let him account it of God, and let him rejoice that he is accounted of God worthy to receive. And by giving heed and doing these things which you have received and which you shall hereafter receive, behold, the Kingdom is given unto you of the Father and power to overcome all things which are not ordained of him. And behold, verily I say unto you, blessed are you who hear these words of mine from the mouth of my servant, for your sins are forgiven you.
- Let my servant Joseph Wakefield, in whom I am well pleased, and my servant Parley, go forth among the churches and strengthen them by the word of exhortation, and also my servant John Corrill, or as many of my servants as are ordained unto this office, and let them labor in the vineyard. And let no man hinder them of doing that which I have appointed unto them. Wherefore, in this thing my servant Edward is not justified. Nevertheless, let him repent and he shall be forgiven.
- Behold, you are little children and you cannot bear all things now. You must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth. Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them which my Father has given me, and none of them which my Father has given me shall be lost. And the Father and I are one. I am in the Father and the Father in me. And inasmuch as you have received me, you are in me and I in you; wherefore, I am in your midst. And I am the good shepherd, and the day comes that you shall hear my voice, and see me, and know that I am. Watch, therefore, that you may be ready. Even so, Amen.
A revelation given at Kirtland, Ohio, 9 May 1831, through Joseph Smith Jr. to Joseph Wakefield, Parley P. Pratt, John Corrill, Edward Partridge, and the elders of the church.