- And in those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea, and saying, Repent, for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand, for I am he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare the way of the Lord and make his paths straight.
- And the same John had his raiment of camel’s hair and a leather girdle about his loins, and his food was locusts and wild honey. Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judea, and all the region round about Jordan. And many were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins. But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who has warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Why is it that you receive not the preaching of him whom God has sent? If you receive not this in your hearts, you receive not me. And if you receive not me, you receive not him of whom I am sent to bear record; and for your sins, you have no cloak. Repent therefore and bring forth fruits meet for repentance. And think not to say within yourselves, We are the children of Abraham, and we only have power to bring seed unto our father Abraham; for I say unto you that God is able, of these stones, to raise up children unto Abraham. And now also, the ax is laid unto the root of the trees; therefore, every tree which brings not forth good fruit shall be hewn down and cast into the fire.
- I indeed baptize you with water upon your repentance, and when he of whom I bear record comes — who is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear, or whose place I am not able to fill — as I said, I indeed baptize you before he comes, that, when he comes, he may baptize you with the holy ghost and fire. And it is he of whom I shall bear record, whose winnowing fork shall be in his hand; and he will thoroughly purge his floor and gather his wheat into the storehouse, but in the fullness of his own time will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. Thus came John, preaching and baptizing in the river of Jordan, bearing record that he who was coming after him had power to baptize with the holy ghost and fire.
- And then came Jesus from Galilee to Jordan, unto John, to be baptized of him. But John refused him, saying, I have need to be baptized of you, and why do you come to me? And Jesus, answering, said unto him, Suffer me to be baptized of you, for thus it becomes us to fulfill all righteousness. Then he suffered him. And John went down into the water and baptized him. And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up immediately out of the water. And John saw, and behold, the Heavens were opened unto him. And he saw the spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting upon Jesus. And behold, he heard a voice from Heaven saying, You are my Son; this day I have begotten you.
- Then Jesus was led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be with God. And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights and had communed with God, he was afterward hungry and was left to be tempted of the Devil. And when the tempter came to him, he said, If you are the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But Jesus answered and said, It is written: Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
- Then Jesus was taken up into the holy city, and the spirit set him on a pinnacle of the temple. Then the Devil came unto him and said, If you are the Son of God, cast yourself down, for it is written: He shall give his angels charge concerning you, and in their hands they shall bear you up, lest at any time you dash your foot against a stone. Jesus said unto him, It is written again: You shall not test the Lord your God.
- And again, Jesus was in the spirit, and it took him up into an exceedingly high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them. And the Devil came unto him again, and said, All these things will I give you if you will fall down and worship me. Then said Jesus unto him, Depart from here Satan, for it is written: You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve. Then the Devil left him.
- And now Jesus knew that John was cast into prison, and he sent angels, and behold, they came and ministered unto him.