- Behold, thus says the Lord unto the elders whom he has called and chosen in these last days by the voice of his spirit, saying: I the Lord will make known unto you what I will that you should do from this time until the next conference, which shall be held in Missouri upon the land which I will consecrate unto my people, which are a remnant of Jacob, and those who are heirs according to the covenant.
- Wherefore, verily I say unto you, let my servants Joseph Smith Jr. and Sidney Rigdon take their journey as soon as preparations can be made to leave their homes, and journey to the land of Missouri. And inasmuch as they are faithful unto me, it shall be made known unto them what they shall do. And it shall also, inasmuch as they are faithful, be made known unto them the land of your inheritance. And inasmuch as they are not faithful, they shall be cut off, even as I will, as seems good to me.
- And again, verily I say unto you, let my servant Lyman (Wight) and my servant John (Corrill) take their journey speedily, and also my servant John (Murdock) and my servant Hyrum (Smith) take their journey unto the same place, by the way of Detroit. And let them journey from thence, preaching the word by the way, saying none other things than that which the prophets and apostles have written, and that which is taught them by the Comforter through the prayer of faith. Let them go two by two, and thus let them preach by the way in every congregation, baptizing by water, and the laying on of the hands by the waterside.
- For thus says the Lord: I will cut my work short in righteousness, for the days come that I will send forth judgment unto victory. And let my servant Lyman beware, for Satan desires to sift him as chaff. And behold, he that is faithful shall be made ruler over many things. And again, I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that you may not be deceived, for Satan is abroad in the land, and he goes forth deceiving the nations. Wherefore, he that prays, whose spirit is contrite, the same is accepted of me, if he obey my ordinances. And he that speaks, whose spirit is contrite, whose language is meek and edifies, the same is of God, if he obey my ordinances. And again, he that trembles under my power shall be made strong, and shall bring forth fruits of praise and wisdom, according to the revelations and truths which I have given you. And again, he that is overcome and brings not forth fruits, even according to this pattern, is not of me. Wherefore, by this pattern you shall know the spirits in all cases under the whole heavens. And the days have come; according to men’s faith it shall be done unto them. Behold, this commandment is given unto all the elders whom I have chosen.
- And again, verily I say unto you, let my servant Thomas (B. Marsh) and my servant Ezra (Thayer) take their journey also, preaching the word by the way, unto this same land. And again, let my servant Isaac (Morley) and my servant Ezra (Booth) take their journey also, preaching the word by the way to the same land. Let my servant Edward (Partridge) and Martin (Harris) take their journey with my servants Sidney and Joseph. Let my servant David (Whitmer) and Harvey Whitlock also take their journey and preach by the way unto this same land. Let my servant Parley (P. Pratt) and Orson (Pratt) also take their journey and preach by the way unto this same land. And let my servant Solomon (Hancock) and Simeon (Carter) also take their journey to the same land and preach by the way. Let my servant Edson (Fuller) and Jacob (Scott) also take their journey. Let my servant Levi Hancock and Zebedee (Coltrin) also take their journey. Let my servant Reynolds (Cahoon) and Samuel (Smith) also take their journey. Let my servant Wheeler (Baldwin) and William (Carter) also take their journey. Let my servant Newel Knight and Selah (Griffin) both be ordained and also take their journey.
- Yea, verily I say, let all these take their journey unto one place, in their several courses, and one man shall not build upon another’s foundation, neither journey in another’s tracks. He that is faithful, the same shall be kept and blessed with much fruit.
- And again, I say unto you, let my servant Joseph (Wakefield) and Solomon (Humphrey Jr.) take their journey into the eastern lands, and let them labor with their families, declaring none other things than the prophets and apostles, that which they have seen, and heard, and most assuredly believe, that the prophecies may be fulfilled.
- In consequence of transgression, let that which was bestowed upon Heman (Bassett) be taken from him and placed upon the head of Symonds (Rider).
- And again, verily I say unto you, let Jared (Carter) be ordained a priest, and also George (James) be ordained a priest. Let the residue of the elders watch over the churches and declare the word in those regions among them, and let them labor with their own hands that there be no idolatry nor wickedness practiced. And remember in all things the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted, for he that does not these things, the same is not my disciple.
- And again, let my servant Joseph, and Sidney, and Edward take with them a recommend from the church, and let there be one obtained for my servant Oliver (Cowdery) also. And thus, even as I have said, if you are faithful, you shall assemble yourselves together to rejoice upon the land of Missouri, which is the land of your inheritance, which is now the land of your enemies. But behold, I the Lord will hasten the city in its time and will crown the faithful with joy and with rejoicing. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and I will lift them up at the last day. Even so, Amen.
A revelation to the elders of the church of Christ, given at Kirtland, Ohio, 6 June 1831, through Joseph Smith Jr.