- Behold, I say unto you, Oliver, that it shall be given unto you that you shall be heard by the church in all things whatever you shall so teach them by the Comforter concerning the revelations and commandments which I have given. But behold, verily, verily I say unto you, no one shall be appointed to receive commandments and revelations in this church excepting my servant Joseph, for he receives them even as Moses. And you shall be obedient unto the things which I shall give unto him, even as Aaron, to declare faithfully the commandments and the revelations, with power and authority unto the church. And if you are led at any time by the Comforter to speak or teach, or at all times by the way of commandment unto the church, you may do it, but you shall not write by way of commandment, but by wisdom. And you shall not command him who is at your head and at the head of the church, for I have given him the keys of the mysteries of the revelations which are sealed, until I shall appoint unto him another in his stead.
- And now behold, I say unto you that you shall go unto the Lamanites, and preach my gospel unto them, and cause my church to be established among them. And you shall have revelations, but write them not by the way of commandment. And now behold, I say unto you that it is not revealed, and no man knows, where the city shall be built, but it shall be given hereafter. Behold, I say unto you that it shall be among the Lamanites.
- You shall not leave this place until after the conference. And my servant Joseph shall be appointed to rule the conference by the voice of it, and what he says to you, that you shall tell.
- And again, you shall take your brother Hiram [Page], between him and you alone, and tell him that those things which he has written from that stone are not of me, and that Satan deceives him, for behold, those things have not been appointed unto him, neither shall anything be appointed unto any of this church, contrary to the church covenants, for all things must be done in order and by common consent in the church, by the prayer of faith. And you shall settle all these things according to the covenants of the church, before you shall take your journey among the Lamanites.
- And it shall be given you, from the time that you shall go until the time that you shall return, what you shall do, and you must open your mouth at all times, declaring my gospel with the sound of rejoicing. Amen.
A revelation given at Fayette, New York, September 1830, through Joseph Jr. to Oliver Cowdery: his call to the Lamanites, etc.