- Give ear to my prayer, O God, and hide not yourself from my supplication. Attend unto me and hear me. I mourn in my complaint and make a noise because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked; for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me. My heart is bitterly pained within me, and the terrors of death are fallen upon me. Fearfulness and trembling have come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me. And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove, for then I would fly away and be at rest. Behold, then would I wander far off and remain in the wilderness. Selah. I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest. Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues, for I have seen violence and strife in the city. Day and night they go about it, upon the walls thereof. Mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it. Wickedness is in the midst thereof. Deceit and guile depart not from her streets.
- For it was not an enemy that reproached me, neither he that hated me that did magnify himself against me. If so, then I could have borne it. I would have hidden myself from him. But it was a man of my equal, my guide and my acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together and walked unto the house of God in company.
- Let death seize upon them and let them go down quick into hell, for wickedness is in their dwellings and among them. As for me, I will call upon God, and the Lord shall save me. Evening, and morning, and at noon will I pray and cry aloud, and he shall hear my voice. He has delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me, for there were many with me. God shall hear and afflict them, even he that abides of old. Selah.
- Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God. They have put forth their hand against such as be at peace with them. They have broken the Lord’s covenant. The words of their mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in their heart. Their words were softer than oil, yet they have drawn swords.
- Cast your burden upon the Lord and he shall sustain you. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. But you, O God, shall bring them down into the pit of destruction. Bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days, but I will trust in you.
To the chief musician on stringed instruments, Maskil, a psalm of David.