- The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. As it is written in the prophets: Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who shall prepare your way before you; the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. John did baptize in the wilderness and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. And there went out unto him all the land of Judea, and they of Jerusalem, and many were baptized of him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. And John was clothed with camel’s hair and with a girdle of skin about his loins. And he did eat locusts and wild honey, and preached, saying, There comes one mightier than I after me, the latchets of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I indeed have baptized you with water; but he shall not only baptize you with water, but with fire and the holy ghost.
- And it came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized of John in Jordan. And immediately coming up out of the water, he saw the Heavens opened and the spirit like a dove descending upon him. And there came a voice from Heaven, saying, You are my Son; this day I have begotten you. And John bore record of it.
- And immediately the spirit took him into the wilderness. And he was there in the wilderness forty days, Satan seeking to tempt him, and was with the wild beasts. And the angels ministered unto him.
- Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, The time is fulfilled and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe the gospel.
- And now as he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishers. And Jesus said unto them, Come after me and I will make you to become fishers of men. And immediately they forsook their nets and followed him. And when he had gone a little farther from there, he saw Jacob, the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the ship mending their nets. And he called them, and immediately they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants and went after him.
- And they went into Capernaum. And directly, on the Sabbath day, he entered into the synagogue and taught. And they were astonished at his teachings, for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes. And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit. And he cried out, saying, Let us alone! What do we have to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know you, who you are: the Holy One of God. And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold your peace and come out of him. And when the unclean spirit had convulsed him and cried with a loud voice, he came out of him. And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? What new doctrine is this? For with authority commands he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him. And immediately his fame spread abroad throughout all the regions round about Galilee.
- And immediately when they had come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with Jacob and John. And Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick of a fever, and they implored him for her. And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up. And immediately the fever left her, and she came and ministered unto them. And at evening, after sunset, they brought unto him all that were diseased and them that were possessed with devils. And all the city was gathered together at the door. And he healed many that were sick of diverse diseases, and cast out many devils, and suffered not the devils to speak because they knew him.
- And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed. And Simon and they that were with him followed after him. And when they had found him, they said unto him, All men seek for you. And he said unto them, Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, for that is why I came forth. And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out devils.
- And there came a leper to him, imploring him and kneeling down to him, and said, If you are willing, you can make me clean. And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand and touched him, and says unto him, I am willing. Be clean. And as soon as he had spoken, immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was cleansed. And he sternly charged him and immediately sent him away, and said unto him, See you say nothing to any man, but go your way, show yourself to the priests, and offer for your cleansing those things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them. But he went out and began to publish it much, and to blazon the matter abroad, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into the city, but was outside in solitary places. And they came to him from every quarter.
- And again he entered into Capernaum after many days, and it was noised abroad that he was in the house. And immediately many were gathered together, insomuch that there was no room to receive the multitude, no, not so much as about the door. And he preached the word unto them. And they came unto him, bringing one sick of the palsy, who was borne of four people. And when they could not come near unto him for the crowd, they uncovered the roof where he was. And when they had broken it up, they let down the bed wherein the sick of the palsy lay.
- When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, your sins are forgiven you. But there were certain of the scribes sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, Why does this man thus speak blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God only? And immediately, when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why do you reason these things in your hearts? Is it not easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Your sins are forgiven you, than to say, Arise and take up your bed and walk? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins, he said to the sick of the palsy, I say unto you, arise and take up your bed, and go your way into your house. And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all, insomuch that they were all amazed. And many glorified God, saying, We never saw the power of God after this manner.
THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MARK