- Verily, verily I say unto you, I who speak even by the Voice of my Spirit, even Alpha and Omega, your Lord and your God. Hearken, O you who have given your names to go forth to proclaim my gospel and to prune my vineyard. Behold, I say unto you that it is my will that you should go forth and not tarry, neither be idle, but labor with your mights, lifting up your voices as with the sound of a trump, proclaiming the truth according to the revelations and commandments which I have given you. And thus, if you are faithful, you shall be laden with many sheaves and crowned with Honor and Glory, and Immortality, and Eternal life.
- Therefore, verily I say unto my servant William, I revoke the commission which I gave unto him to go unto the Eastern countries, and I give unto him a new commission and a new commandment, in the which I the Lord chasten him for the murmurings of his heart, and he sinned. Nevertheless, I forgive him and say unto him again, Go into the South countries, and let my servant Luke go with him and proclaim the things which I have commanded them, calling on the name of the Lord for the Comforter, which shall teach them all things that are expedient for them, praying always that they faint not. And inasmuch as they do this, I will be with them even unto the End. Behold, this is the will of the Lord your God concerning you. Even so, Amen.
- And again, thus says the Lord: Let my servant Orson Hyde and my servant Samuel take their journey into the Eastern countries, and proclaim the things which I have commanded them. And inasmuch as they are faithful, lo, I will be with them even unto the End. And again, verily I say unto my servant Lyman and unto my servant Orson Pratt, they shall also take their journey into the Eastern countries, and behold and lo, I am with them also, even unto the End.
- And again, I say unto my servant Asa and unto my servant Calves that they also shall take their journey unto the Western countries and proclaim my gospel, even as I have commanded them. And he who is faithful shall overcome all things and shall be lifted up at the last day.
- And again, I say unto my servant Major and my servant Burr, take their journey also unto the South countries. Yea, let all these take their journey as I have commanded them, going from house to house and from village to village and from city to city, and in whatever house you enter and they receive you, leave your blessings upon that House. And in whatever house you enter and they receive you not, you shall depart speedily from that House and shake off the dust of your feet as a testimony against them. And you shall be filled with joy and gladness. And know this, that in the day of judgment you shall be judges of that House and condemn them, and it shall be more tolerable for the heathen in the day of judgment than for that House. Therefore, gird up your loins and be faithful, and you shall overcome all things and be lifted up at the last day. Even so, Amen.
A revelation given through Joseph Smith Jr., 25 January 1832, at Amherst, Ohio, to a conference of ten elders: William E. McLellin, Luke Johnson, Orson Hyde, Samuel H. Smith, Lyman Johnson, Orson Pratt, Asa Dodds, Calves Wilson, Major N. Ashley, and Burr Riggs.