- Emma, my daughter in Zion, a revelation I give unto you concerning my will. Behold, your sins are forgiven you and you are an elect lady, whom I have called. Murmur not because of the things which you have not seen, for they are withheld from you and from the world, which is wisdom in me in a time to come.
- And the office of your calling shall be for a comfort unto my servant Joseph, your husband, in his afflictions, with consoling words in the spirit of meekness. And you shall go with him at the time of his going and be unto him for a scribe, that I may send Oliver [Cowdery] wherever I will. And you shall be ordained under his hand to expound scriptures and exhort the church, according as it shall be given you by my spirit, for he shall lay his hands upon you and you shall receive the holy ghost. And your time shall be given to writing and to learning much.
- And you need not fear, for your husband shall support you from the church, for unto them is his calling, that all things might be revealed unto them, whatever I will, according to their faith. And verily I say unto you that you shall lay aside the things of this world and seek for the things of a better.
- And it shall be given you also to make a selection of sacred hymns, as it shall be given you, which is pleasing unto me to be had in my church, for my soul delights in the song of the heart, yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.
- Wherefore, lift up your heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which you have made. Continue in the spirit of meekness and beware of pride. Let your soul delight in your husband and the glory which shall come upon him. Keep my commandments continually, and a crown of righteousness you shall receive. And except you do this, where I am you cannot come. And verily I say unto you that this is my voice unto all. Even so, Amen.
A revelation given through Joseph Smith Jr. at Harmony, Pennsylvania, in July 1830, to Emma Smith.