- Hearken, and listen to the voice of him who is from all eternity to all eternity, the great I Am, even Jesus Christ, the Light and the Life of the world, a light which shines in darkness and the darkness comprehends it not, the same which came in the meridian of time unto my own and my own received me not. But to as many as received me gave I Power to become my sons, and even so will I give unto as many as receive me, Power to become my sons.
- And verily, verily I say unto you, He that receives my gospel receives me. And he that receives not my gospel receives not me. And this is my gospel, repentance and baptism by water, and then comes the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost, even the Comforter, which shows all things and teaches the peaceable things of the Kingdom.
- And now, behold, I say unto you my servant James, I have looked upon your works and I know you. And verily I say unto you, your heart is now right before me, at this time. Behold, I have bestowed great blessings upon your head, nevertheless, you have seen great sorrow, for you have rejected me many times because of pride and the cares of the world. But behold, the days of your deliverance are come. Arise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on my name, and you shall receive my Spirit and a blessing so great as you never have known. And if you do this, I have prepared you for a greater work. You shall preach the fullness of my gospel which I have sent forth in these last days, the covenant which I have sent forth to recover my people which are of the House of Israel.
- And it shall come to pass that Power shall rest upon you. You shall have great faith, and I will be with you and go before your face. You are called to labor in my vineyard, and to build up my church, and to bring forth Zion that it may rejoice upon the hills and flourish.
- Behold, verily, verily I say unto you, You are not called to go unto the Eastern countries, but you are called to go to the Ohio, and inasmuch as my people shall assemble themselves to the Ohio, I have kept in store a blessing such as is not known among the children of men, and it shall be poured forth upon their heads, and from thence men shall go forth into all nations.
- Behold, verily, verily I say unto you that the people in Ohio call upon me in much faith, thinking I will stay my hand in judgment upon the nations, but I cannot deny my word. Wherefore, lay to with your might and call forth laborers into my vineyard, that it may be pruned for the last time. And inasmuch as they do repent, and receive the fullness of my gospel, and become sanctified, I will stay my hand in judgment.
- Wherefore, go forth crying with a loud voice saying, The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand. Crying, Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God. Go forth baptizing with water, preparing the way before my face for the time of my coming, for the time is at hand. The day nor the hour no man knows, but it surely shall come. And he that receives these things receives me, and they shall be gathered unto me in time and in eternity.
- And again, it shall come to pass that on as many as you shall baptize with water, you shall lay your hands and they shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and shall be looking forth for the signs of my coming, and shall know me. Behold, I come quickly. Even so, Amen.
A revelation given at Fayette, New York, 5 January 1831, through Joseph Smith Jr. A man by the name of James Covel covenanted with the Lord that he would obey any commandment the Lord would give through his servant Joseph, and accordingly Joseph inquired of the Lord and he received these words.