- Question: Concerning the trying of the first presidency of the Church of Latter-day Saints for transgression, according to the item of law found in the third section of The Book of Covenants, 37th verse, shall the decision of a council of one stake be conclusive for Zion and all the stakes?
- Question: What will answer for Zion and all her stakes?
- And when a decision is had by such a council in Zion, it shall only be for Zion, it shall not answer for her stakes. But if said decision be acknowledged by the council of her stakes, then it shall answer for her stakes. But if it is not acknowledged by the stakes, then such stakes may have the privilege of hearing for themselves, or if said decision shall be acknowledged by a majority of the stakes, then it shall answer for all her stakes.
- And again, the presidency of said church may be tried by the voice of the whole body of the church of Zion, and the voice of a majority of all her stakes. And again, except a majority is had by the voice of the church of Zion, and the majority of her stakes, the charges will be considered not sustained, and in order to sustain such charge or charges before said church of Zion or her stakes, such witnesses must be had as are named above, that is, three witnesses to each president, that are of long and faithful standing, that cannot be impeached by other witnesses before the church of Zion or her stakes.
- And all this, says the Lord, because of wicked and aspiring men. Let all your doing be in meekness and humility before me. Even so, Amen.
A revelation given at the French Farm, Kirtland, Ohio, 12 January 1838, in response to questions posed to the Lord by Joseph Smith Jr. in the presence of Sidney Rigdon, Vinson Knight, and George W. Robinson. [Note: BOOK OF COVENANTS refers to the 1835 d&c]
Answer: Thus says the Lord: The time has now come when the decision of such a council would not answer for Zion and all her stakes.
Answer: Thus says the Lord: Let the first presidency of my church be held in full fellowship in Zion and all her stakes until they shall be found transgressors, by such a high council as is named in the third section of The Book of Covenants, 37 verse, in Zion, by three witnesses standing against each member of said presidency, and said witnesses shall be of long and faithful standing, and such also as cannot be impeached by other witnesses before said council.