- Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus, to Timothy, dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
- I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy when I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded that in you also. Wherefore I put you in remembrance that you stir up the gift of God, which is in you by the putting on of my hands. For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- Be not therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but be partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, but is now made manifest by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, of which I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the gentiles, for the which cause I also suffer these things. Nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
- Hold fast the form of sound words which you have heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed unto you, keep by the Holy Ghost which dwells in us. This you know, that all they which are in Asia are turned away from me, of whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes. The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus, for he oft refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chain. But when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently and found me. The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day. And in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus you know very well.
- Therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that you have heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit you to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. Therefore endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that wars entangles himself with the affairs of life, that he may please him who has chosen him to be a soldier. And if a man also strive for masteries, he is not crowned except he strive lawfully. The husbandman that labors must be partaker of the fruits. Consider what I say, and the Lord gives you understanding in all things. Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to the gospel wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer unto bonds, but the word of God is not bound. Therefore I endure all things for the elect’s sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory, for this is a faithful saying: If we be dead with him, we shall also live with him. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him. If we deny him, he also will deny us. If we believe not, he abides faithful. He cannot deny himself.
- Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they quarrel not about words to no profit, to the subverting of the hearers. Strive to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun worldly and vain babblings, for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as does a canker, among whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus, who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already, and overthrow the faith of some. Nevertheless the foundation of God stands sure, having this seal: The Lord knows them that are His. And let everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
- But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth, and some to honor and some to dishonor. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honor, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, prepared unto every good work. Flee also youthful lusts, but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. But foolish and unlearned discussions avoid, knowing that they do engender strifes. And the servant of the Lord must not quarrel, but be gentle unto all, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth, and they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
- This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come, for men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, without self-control, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God, having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof. From such turn away, for of this sort are they which creep into houses and lead captive silly women loaded with sins, led away with diverse lusts, ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further, for their folly shall be manifest unto all, as theirs also was.
- But you have fully known my teachings, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, persecutions, afflictions which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra, what persecutions I endured. But out of all, the Lord delivered me. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. For evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. But continue you in the things which you have learned and have been assured of, knowing of whom you have learned and that from a child you have known the holy scriptures, which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. And all scripture given by inspiration of God is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
- I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing in his kingdom: Preach the word; be ready in season. Those who are out of season, reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and teachings. For the time will come when they will not endure sound teaching, but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears. And they shall turn away ears from the truth and shall be turned unto fables. But watch you in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of your ministry. For I am now about to be offered and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight. I have finished my course. I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day, and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
- Do your diligence to come shortly unto me, for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica, Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. Take Mark and bring him with you, for he is profitable to me for the ministry. And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. The cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, when you come, bring, and the books, especially the parchments. Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil; the Lord reward him according to his works, of whom be wary also, for he has greatly withstood our words. At my first answer no man stood with me, but all forsook me. I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. Notwithstanding, the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, that by me the preaching might be fully known and all the gentiles might hear. And I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion, and the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- Salute Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus. Erastus abided at Corinth, but Trophimus have I left at Miletus sick. Do your diligence to come before winter. Eubulus greets you, and Pudens, and Linus, and Claudia, and all the brethren. The Lord Jesus Christ be with you and grace be with you all. Amen.
THE SECOND EPISTLE TO TIMOTHY
The second epistle unto Timothy, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Ephesians, was written from Rome, when Paul was brought before Nero the second time.