- Firstly, my servant Orson was called by his ordinance to proclaim the everlasting gospel, by the spirit of the living God, from people to people and from land to land, in the congregations of the wicked, in their synagogues, reasoning with and expounding all scriptures unto them. And behold and lo, this is an example unto all those who are ordained unto this priesthood, whose mission is appointed unto them to go forth. And this is the example unto them that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the holy ghost. And whatever they shall speak, when moved upon by the holy ghost, shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation. Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O you my servants.
- Wherefore, be of good cheer and do not fear, for I, the Lord, am with you and will stand by you, and you shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come. This is the word of the Lord unto you my servant Orson, and also unto my servant Luke, and unto my servant Lyman, and unto my servant William, and unto all the faithful elders of my church. Go into all the world. Preach the gospel to every creature, acting in the authority which I have given you, baptizing in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy ghost. And he that believes and is baptized shall be saved, and he that believes not shall be damned. And he that believes shall be blessed with signs following, even as it is written. And unto you it shall be given to know the signs of the times, and the signs of the coming of the Son of Man. And of as many as the Father shall bear record, to you it shall be given power to seal them up unto eternal life. Amen.
- And now concerning the items in addition to the laws and commandments, they are these: There remains hereafter, in the due time of the Lord, other bishops to be set apart unto the church, to minister even according to the first. Wherefore, it shall be a high priest who is worthy, and he shall be appointed by a conference of high priests.
- And again, no bishop or judge which shall be set apart for this ministry shall be tried or condemned for any crime, save it be before a conference of high priests. And inasmuch as he is found guilty before a conference of high priest, by testimony that cannot be impeached, he shall be condemned or forgiven according to the laws of the church.
- And again, inasmuch as parents have children in Zion that teach them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ, the Son of the living God, and of baptism, and the gift of the holy spirit by the laying on of the hands, when eight years old, the sin be upon the head of the parents. For this shall be a law unto the inhabitants of Zion, and their children shall be baptized for the remission of their sins when eight years old, and receive the laying on of the hands. And they also shall teach their children to pray and to walk uprightly before the Lord.
- And the inhabitants of Zion shall also observe the Sabbath day to keep it holy. And the inhabitants of Zion also shall remember their labors, inasmuch as they are appointed to labor, in all faithfulness, for the idler shall be had in remembrance before the Lord. Now, I the Lord am not well pleased with the inhabitants of Zion, for there are idlers among them, and their children are also growing up in wickedness. They also seek not earnestly the riches of eternity, but their eyes are full of greediness. These things ought not to be, and must be done away from among them.
- Wherefore, let my servant Oliver carry these sayings unto the land of Zion. And a commandment I give unto them, that those who observe not their prayers before the Lord in the season thereof, let them be had in remembrance before the judge of my people. These sayings are true and faithful; wherefore, transgress them not, neither take therefrom. Behold, I am Alpha and Omega and I come quickly. Amen.
A revelation given to Joseph Smith Jr. in Hiram, Ohio, 1 November 1831, through Joseph Smith Jr. regarding Orson Hyde, Luke Johnson, Lyman Johnson and William E. McLellin. Certain items are added to the laws and commandments previously given to the church. And instructions are given to Oliver Cowdery.