- O hearken, you elders of my church, and give ear to the words which I shall speak unto you, for behold, verily, verily I say unto you that you have received a commandment for a law unto my church, through him whom I have appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations from my hand. And this you shall know assuredly, that there is none other appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations until he be taken, if he abide in me.
- But verily, verily I say unto you that none else shall be appointed unto this gift, except it be through him, for if it be taken from him, he shall not have power except to appoint another in his stead. And this shall be a law unto you — that you receive not the teachings of any that shall come before you, as revelations or commandments. And this I give unto you that you may not be deceived, that you may know they are not of me. For verily I say unto you that he that is ordained of me shall come in at the gate, and be ordained as I have told you before, to teach those revelations which you have received and shall receive, through him whom I have appointed.
- And now behold, I give unto you a commandment that when you are assembled yourselves together, you shall note with a pen how to act, and for my church to act, upon the points of my law and commandments which I have given. And thus it shall become a law unto you, being sanctified by that which you have received, that you shall bind yourselves to act in all holiness before me, that inasmuch as you do this, glory shall be added to the kingdom which you have received. Inasmuch as you do it not, it shall be taken, even that which you have received. Purge out the iniquity which is among you, sanctify yourselves before me, and if you desire the glories of the Kingdom, appoint my servant Joseph, and uphold him before me by the prayer of faith.
- And again, I say unto you that if you desire the mysteries of the Kingdom, provide for him food, and raiment, and whatever thing he needs to accomplish the work wherewith I have commanded him. And if you do it not, he shall remain unto them that have received him, that I may reserve unto myself a pure people before me.
- Again I say, hearken you elders of my church whom I have appointed; you are not sent forth to be taught, but to teach the children of men the things which I have put in your hands by the power of my spirit, and you are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and you shall be endowed with power that you may give even as I have spoken.
- Hearken all of you, for behold, the great day of the Lord is nigh at hand, for the day comes that the Lord shall utter his voice out of Heaven. The heavens shall shake, and the earth shall tremble, and the trump of God shall sound both long and loud, and shall say to the sleeping nations, You saints arise and live; you sinners stay and sleep until I shall call again.
- Wherefore, gird up your loins, lest you are found among the wicked. Lift up your voices and spare not. Call upon the nations to repent, both old and young, both bond and free, saying, Prepare yourselves for the great day of the Lord, for if I, who am a man, do lift up my voice and call upon you to repent, and you hate me, what will you say when the day comes, when the thunders shall utter their voices from the ends of the earth, speaking in the ears of all that live, saying: Repent and prepare for the great day of the Lord! Yea, and again, when the lightnings shall streak forth from the east unto the west, and shall utter forth their voices unto all that live, and make the ears of all tingle that hear, saying these words: Repent, for the great day of the Lord is come!
- And again, the Lord shall utter his voice out of Heaven saying, Hearken O you nations of the earth, and hear the words of that God who made you: O you nations of the earth, how often would I have gathered you as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings, but you would not? How oft have I called upon you by the mouth of my servants, and by the ministering of angels, and by my own voice, and by the voice of thunderings, and by the voice of lightnings, and by the voice of tempests, and by the voice of earthquakes and great hailstorms, and by the voice of famines and pestilences of every kind, and by the great sound of a trump, and by the voice of judgments, and by the voice of mercy all the day long, and by the voice of glory and honor and the riches of eternal life, and would have saved you with an everlasting salvation, but you would not? Behold, the day has come when the cup of the wrath of my indignation is full.
- Behold, verily I say unto you that these are the words of the Lord your God; wherefore, labor all of you. Labor in my vineyard for the last time, for the last time call upon the inhabitants of the earth, for in my own due time will I come upon the earth in judgment. And my people shall be redeemed and shall reign with me on earth, for the great Millennial, which I have spoken by the mouth of my servants, shall come, for Satan shall be bound. And when he is loosed again, he shall only reign for a little season, and then comes the end of the world, and he that lives in righteousness shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye, and the earth shall pass away so as by fire. And the wicked shall go away into unquenchable fire, and their end no man knows on earth, nor ever shall know, until they come before me in judgment.
- Hearken you all to these words. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds. Be sober. Keep all my commandments. Even so, Amen.
A revelation given at Kirtland, Ohio, February 1831, through Joseph Smith Jr. to the elders of the church.