- Now behold, I say unto you that because you delivered up so many writings which you had power to translate into the hands of a wicked man, you have lost them and you also lost your gift at the same time. Nevertheless it has been restored unto you again, therefore see that you are faithful and go on unto the finishing of the remainder of the work as you have begun. Do not run faster than you have strength and means provided to translate, but be diligent unto the end that you may come off conqueror, yea, that you may conquer Satan and those that do uphold his work. Behold, they have sought to destroy you, yea, even the man in whom you have trusted and for this cause I said that he is a wicked man, for he has sought to take away the things wherewith you have been intrusted and he has also sought to destroy your gift. And because you have delivered the writings into his hands behold, they have taken them from you, therefore you have delivered them up, yea, that which was sacred, unto wickedness. And behold, Satan has put it into their hearts to alter the words which you have caused to be written or which you have translated, which have gone out of your hands. And behold, I say unto you that because they have altered the words, they read contrary from that which you translated and caused to be written, and on this wise the devil has sought to lay a cunning plan that he may destroy this work, for he has put it into their hearts to do this, that by lying they may say they have caught you in the words which you have pretended to translate.
- Verily I say unto you that I will not suffer that Satan shall accomplish his evil design in this thing, for behold, he has put it into their hearts to tempt the Lord their God. For behold, they say in their hearts, We will see if God has given him power to translate. If so, he will also give him power again, and if God giveth him power again or if he translate again, or in other words, if he bringeth forth the same words, behold, we have the same with us and we have altered them. Therefore they will not agree and we will say that he has lied in his words, and that he has no gift, and that he has no power. Therefore we will destroy him and also the work, and we will do this that we may not be ashamed in the end and that we may get glory of the world.
- Verily, verily I say unto you that Satan has great hold upon their hearts; he stirreth them up to do iniquity against that which is good that he may lead their souls to destruction, and thus he has laid a cunning plan to destroy the work of God. Yea, he stirreth up their hearts to anger against this work, yea, he saith unto them, Deceive and lie in wait to catch that ye may destroy, behold, this is no harm. And thus he flattereth them and telleth them that it is no sin to lie that they may catch a man in a lie that they may destroy him. And thus he flattereth them and leadeth them along until he draggeth their souls down to hell, and thus he causeth them to catch themselves in their own snare, and thus he goeth up and down, to and fro in the earth seeking to destroy the souls of men.
- Verily, verily I say unto you, wo be unto him that lieth to deceive because he supposeth that another lieth to deceive, for such are not exempt from the justice of God. Now behold, they have altered those words because Satan saith unto them, He hath deceived you. And thus he flattereth them away to do iniquity, to tempt the Lord their God.
- Behold, I say unto you that you shall not translate again those words which have gone forth out of your hands for behold, they shall not lie any more against those words. For behold, if you should bring forth the same words they would say that you have lied, that you have pretended to translate, but that you have contradicted your words. And behold, they would publish this, and Satan would harden the hearts of the people to stir them up to anger against you that they might not believe my words. Thus Satan would overpower this generation, that the work might not come forth in this generation.
- But behold, here is wisdom, and because I show unto you wisdom and give you commandments concerning these things what you shall do, show it not unto the world until you have accomplished the work. Marvel not that I said unto you, Here is wisdom, show it not unto the world, for I said, Show it not unto the world, that you may be preserved. Behold, I do not say that you shall not show it unto the righteous, but as you cannot always judge the righteous or as you cannot always tell the wicked from the righteous, therefore I say unto you, Hold your peace until I shall see fit to make all things known unto the world concerning the matter.
- And now verily I say unto you that an account of those things that you have written which have gone out of your hands are engraven upon the plates of Nephi. Yea, and you remember it was said in those writings that a more particular account was given of these things upon the plates of Nephi. And now because the account which is engraven upon the plates of Nephi is more particular concerning the things which in my wisdom I would bring to the knowledge of the people in this account, therefore you shall translate the engravings which are on the plates of Nephi down even till you come to the reign of king Benjamin or until you come to that which you have translated which you have retained. And behold, you shall publish it as the record of Nephi, and thus I will confound those which have altered my words.
- I will not suffer that they shall destroy my work, yea, I will shew unto them that my wisdom is greater than the cunning of the devil. Behold, they have only got a part or an abridgement of the account of Nephi. Behold, there are many things engraven on the plates of Nephi which do throw greater views upon my gospel. Therefore it is wisdom in me that ye should translate this first part of the engravings of Nephi and send forth in this work.
- And behold, all the remainder of this work doth contain all those parts of my gospel which my holy prophets, yea, and also my disciples, desired in their prayers should come forth unto this people. And I said unto them that it should be granted unto them according to their faith in their prayers. Yea, and this is their faith: that my gospel which I give unto them that they might preach in their days might come unto their brethren the Lamanites and also all that had become Lamanites because of their dissensions.
- Now this is not all, but their faith in their prayers were that this gospel should be made known also if it were possible to other nations who should possess the land. And thus they did leave a blessing upon this land in their prayers that whosoever should believe in this gospel in this land might have Eternal life, yea, that it might be free unto all of whatsoever nation, kindred, tongue, or people they may be.
- And now behold, according to their faith in their prayers will I bring this part of my gospel to the knowledge of my people. Behold, I do not bring it to destroy that which they have received, but to build it up, and for this cause have I said, If this generation harden not their hearts, I will establish my church among them. Now I do not say this to destroy my church, but I say this to build up my church. Therefore whosoever belongeth to my church need not fear, for such shall inherit the kingdom of heaven, but it is they which do not fear me, neither keep my commandments, but buildeth up churches unto themselves to get gain, yea, and all those that do wickedly and buildeth up the kingdom of the devil. Yea, verily, verily I say unto you it is they that I will disturb and cause to tremble and shake to the center.
- Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I came unto my own and my own received me not. I am the light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not. I am he which said, Other sheep have I which are not of this fold, unto my disciples, and many there were which understood me not.
- And I will shew unto this people that I had other sheep and that they were a branch of the house of Jacob, and I will bring to light these marvelous works which they did in my name. Yea, and I will also bring to light my gospel which was ministered unto them and behold, they shall not deny that which ye have received, but they shall build it up and shall bring to light the true points of my doctrine, yea, and the only doctrine which is in me. And this I do that I may establish my gospel, that there may not be so much contention. Yea, Satan doth stir up the hearts of the people to contention concerning the points of my doctrine, and in these things they do err for they do arrest the scriptures and do not understand them. Therefore I will unfold unto them this great mystery, for behold, I will gather them as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings if they will not harden their hearts, yea, if they will come, they may and partake of the waters of life freely.
- Behold, this is my doctrine: Whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church. Whosoever declareth more or less then this is not of me, but is against me, therefore he is not of my church.
- Now behold, whosoever is of my church and endureth in my church to the end, him will I establish upon my rock and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.
- And now, remember the words of him who is the life and the light of the world, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Amen.
[LE: 10, KE: 36]
Revelation given at Harmony, Pennsylvania, May 1829, to Joseph Smith, informing him of the alteration of the manuscript of the fore part of the Book of Mormon.